Tuesday, December 23, 2008

It's Almost Christmas Eve!







In about an hour, Christmas Eve will begin. It is truly my favorite day of the year! As a December 30th baby, I feel right at home in the short, dark days. Christmas Eve is the time when all the frenzy should be gone. Quiet has always been a hallmark of at least the evening in our home. Traditionally, it was a time to read Christmas stories to the children when they were small and to wear the new nightgowns (Lanz of Salzburg flannel for me and the girls!) and slippers and to nibble on something delicious and cozy. Candles burned in abundance, the woodstove crackled with locust and oak logs warming our night. Of course Christmas Ev's serenity turned into the 3 ring circus of Christmas morning, but, it still stays with me as about as still as the world (my world) gets, and I cherish each and every one.






This deer light sculpture has been around for a decade or so and each season we say, "Time to replace the deer." Not this year. altho Ella, the year old Newfoundland thinks she's in love with the handsome stranger, so we think that will shorten its' life somewhat! She brings stuffed animals in her mouth to the deer to try to get it to play, to no avail...then gives it a little shove (Ella weighs about 125 lbs!) but gets very little response. We've screwed the deer's feet down to the deck to keep these love taps from sending the deer down the mountain...






1 comment:

~*~Patty S said...

smiles and warm cozy feelings surround me reading your Christmas eve post.....just beautiful Lanise!
HoHoHo + Fa la la la oxoo

Summer Sunday Art Musings

Mid-summer again, and I still am not an experienced blogger...but I am back to working in my studio and have too many ideas to fit them all into a working day format...how exciting is that!??? This week I have still been at the Piano Hinge Books (refreshing my mind about working with tree wrap for gypsy moth paper aided by Lumiere metallics (!)...intriguingly easy and so organic to the eye. I am working on a series of Buddha greeting cards (with a deadline). The weather here in the Blue Ridge has been a mixed bag of hot and humid and rain...great for indoor sports like studio time! I must get busy and download the photos from my camers so I can showcase a few of my week's endeavors...

Medieval Illuminated Manuscript Book

Medieval Illuminated Manuscript Book
Thank You Lisa at European Papers Columbus, Ohio

Abalone Button Piano Hinge Book

Abalone Button Piano Hinge Book
That Abalone Left Its' Shell 4 Art!

Bliss Girl

Bliss Girl
Transcendent Bliss Girl