Thursday, December 4, 2008

Nature's Art

Orchids represent the exotic. They even act in an exotic manner. I can't tell you how often an orchid blossom, being screened by a larger plant, will suddenly and unexpectedly have a fantastic bloom appear, quite nonchalantly. Our orchids are not babied. They live in a nice room where the hot tub and the washer and dryer also live, but it was made out of recycled sliding glass dorrs, window panels...well, you get the picture. I had never even seen orchid plants grow, but some friends from the city had orchid baskets or 5 or 6 orchids arrive in beautiful bloom, directly from the florist, but...when the blossoms were gone, out! went the orchids. I instantly formed the "Orchid Rescue Society" and would add each season's worth of post-decorative orchids to our growing family. We lost quite a few by not having sufficient humidity, by having a too-large heater, by...well, if there were mistakes to be made, we made them! One summer a few years ago, we began the twice yearly task of 'take the orchids outside for the summer, bring them back in for the winter. Now THAT really turned things around! Our orchids, with the addition of a humidifying device (like you walk through in the Southwest for cooling off), not using the 'dragon's breath' too hot and dry heater, and going outdoors for the summer months, have become thriving and oh! so beautiful. This is the time of the year when there is a crescendo of blooms. From time to time, I'll post more, but here are a few...enjoy!

No comments:

Summer Sunday Art Musings

Mid-summer again, and I still am not an experienced blogger...but I am back to working in my studio and have too many ideas to fit them all into a working day format...how exciting is that!??? This week I have still been at the Piano Hinge Books (refreshing my mind about working with tree wrap for gypsy moth paper aided by Lumiere metallics (!)...intriguingly easy and so organic to the eye. I am working on a series of Buddha greeting cards (with a deadline). The weather here in the Blue Ridge has been a mixed bag of hot and humid and rain...great for indoor sports like studio time! I must get busy and download the photos from my camers so I can showcase a few of my week's endeavors...

Medieval Illuminated Manuscript Book

Medieval Illuminated Manuscript Book
Thank You Lisa at European Papers Columbus, Ohio

Abalone Button Piano Hinge Book

Abalone Button Piano Hinge Book
That Abalone Left Its' Shell 4 Art!

Bliss Girl

Bliss Girl
Transcendent Bliss Girl